Monday, September 12, 2011

Art from the Past! Part One




'For love cannot fly without resting (and testing)'
acrylic, gouache, watercolour and collage on calico
120x180cm


'I wish I was a pirate because then you'd sail away'
acrylic, gouache, watercolour and collage on calico
85x80cm


'"Now is the time to make a wish" they said. I wished for love (and a house of flowers)..'
acrylic, gouache, watercolour and collage on calico
85x80cm


Ahh 'Gypsy', my first solo exhibition!! Seems a lifetime a go, and also like yesterday as I remember feeling like I was going to throw up as I walked through that door on opening night. What I didn't know then was that those bundle of nerves strike every opening night of every solo exhibition!

This work which we look back on now, still haunts me! Haunting in a good way, as the three works pictured here are among those that people still ask about and still covert even after so many other works have tried to take their place since! A close friend owns "I wish you were a pirate because then you'd sail away.." Bet she didn't know then that it would still be such a topic of interest a years later.

These works were part of the show 'Gypsy' in 2009, at 19 Karen Contemporary Art Space on the Gold Coast. They spoke of heartbreak and longing, and used textile collage, watercolour and gouache on calico to tell their stories. I am revisiting some of these techniques and themes in some current works, having worked without collage for the past couple of years. Will post the new works soon.

1 comment:

  1. These are my favourites Ab Fab!! Love the watercolour, flower stuff. Do you think this will come back hun? :-)

    ReplyDelete